The mission of the Burlington Expanded Learning Opportunities program is to foster the social and academic success of Burlington youth through high quality afterschool and summer programming in an environment that creates lasting connections with peers, adults and the community. Our committed team works everyday to support students in achieving vital outcomes such as, increased academic performance, increased leadership and social skills, increased cultural and global awareness and the cultivation of a belief that they can make a difference in their community and world. Expanded learning opportunities continue to be a key strategy in closing the achievement gap, they keep kids safe, prepare them for college and careers by building 21st century skills, and support working families. On any given day this school year, over 600 students across the district will be participating in an expanded learning activity, with over 1,900 participating annually.
Welcome to the 2017-2018 Burlington Kids After School Program, a collaboration between the City of Burlington, Parks, Recreation & Waterfront Department and the Burlington School District! We offer after school programming every school day after students are dismissed at either 1:50pm (Wednesdays) or 2:50pm until 5:30pm, at J.J. Flynn Elementary, C.P. Smith Elementary, Edmunds Elementary, the Sustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes, and Champlain Elementary, with the exception of two early release days scheduled for October and March. The efforts of many people in this partnership help to create more opportunities for more children to participate in Afterschool.
We also offer programming at Edmunds and Hunt Middle Schools — more information will be added to our new website shortly.
The program offers enrichment and recreation opportunities alongside academic support in a format that meets families’ after school needs. We offer a variety of activities in three sessions, which you and your child sign up for ahead of time.
Enrollment Process Checklist
- If you are trying to enroll after June 9, 2017, deliver or send the completed packet to: Burlington Kids ATTN: Registration 150 Colchester Ave Burlington, VT 05401 NOTE: Priority will be given to families that return completed forms by May 5th. Should available spaces fill, sites will begin a wait list.
- Confirm a payment plan or complete Financial Support paperwork. This is needed before your child can attend. NOTE: Any outstanding balance from another child’s prior attendance must also be paid in order to secure your kindergartner’s spot(s).
- You will receive a letter confirming your enrollment after submitting the completed registration packet, including the signed Billing Form and after our staff have verified that you have successfully completed the BSD online Student Information Update form (including all required documentation).
- Read and sign the Family Handbook that will be provided after you submit the packet.
Afternoon Program: end of school day – 5:30pm: $14.75 per child, per day
* Late pick-up policy: There is a Late Pick-Up Fee of $10 (per family) for each 5 minutes past the 5:30 pm close of programming. Any late charges will appear on your monthly bill.